Friday, October 7, 2016

Super Brain Yoga

Once I wrote:

…watched a movie that won 2015 Oscar for best actress- Still Alice. Julianne Moore, as Dr. Alice Howard, honorably recreated the character Alice based on a bestselling novel by Lisa Genova. The movie takes twists and turns when Alice’s initial diagnosis changed from mild cognitive impairment to an early onset of familial Alzheimer’s disease. The family tried to cope with the memory disruptions in a brilliant linguistic Professor at Columbia. The highlight was its ending which made warmth to an otherwise an unhappy plot. In the last scene, after reading Angels in America to her mom, Alice’s daughter asked what that meant to her. Alice, who could barely think, contemplate, or hardly speak utter this beautiful word: Love. Yes, it is all about love. The love and the compassion you show to the inflicted; the service you render to the patient and the peace that evolve from that relationship. It’s Alzheimer’s: a disease that eludes our efforts to stop, prevent or slow….

Today, I followed a discussion on Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) in Facebook. The agony, frustration, faith, commitment emanated from that conversation were profound. My thoughts and prayers go to all those children, parents and their siblings facing those disorders. I wanted to be part of the solution they seek. My own research gave me several leads on what, as a life style coach and fitness instructor, I may able to contribute. I have talked to several people exposed to Autism, Asperger’s or Williams syndrome; I have seen the trauma in population suffering from Alzheimer’s. We may not be able to find solutions for all these soon, but we may be able to equip the patients and their loved ones to navigate through these squalls through practices we know are beneficial. We could, surely, equip them to stand right in the middle of those difficulties to face them.

I have taken “Super Brain Yoga” as the theme of my yoga classes for the whole month of October. I want to dedicate my teaching moments to all those families who are seeking some answers. My goal is to teach participants (in turn, I expect them to talk and teach others) on relaxation, breathing techniques, relevance of balancing and inversions, and “Super Brain yoga” sequences.

Hope to see you in one of my classes.

Thy,

Jay


No comments:

Post a Comment